Wednesday 31 October 2018

On the Workbench: Last of the ships and N.Africa bases upgrade

The final 1/3000 scale ships have been completed bringing to a conclusion the current naval painting project. All Navwar unless otherwise stated.

First up, 3 ships for the forthcoming Battle of River Plate game:



 Graf Spee

Continued -




Ajax and Achilles

The final 2 ships for Operation Nostalgia:


The Italian cruisers Zara (Davco) on the left (2nd photo) and Duca d'Aosta (Navwar) on the right.

The following vessel does not feature in any of the current projects. In the 1970's I scratch built a 1/1200 scale version of this monitor and had the urge to add it to my collection. 

The 15" Monitor HMS Terror

A few months ago I began improving the bases of my 6mm WW2 N.Africa bases to more closely match my desert terrain. I have decided to complete this task and with a Heroics & Ros order pending will allow me to complete all the figures required for the next Op Compass game.

This is probably not the best angle to illustrate the revamped bases as it makes them look darker than in reality. On the left are completed Italian bases with the 8th Army on the right awaiting their treatment. It is not a full rebase but merely adding a few rocks and repainting.

2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of work but it looks really effective.

    I do like your ships and the masts make them look very nice indeed. What do you make them out of...brass wire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. The masts are steel wire I bought from a model shop about 15 years ago for another project. The tripod masts are a little fiddly but I feel they are worth the effort.

      Delete