Friday 30 August 2019

Blitzkrieg Commander IV Templates

A new purchase arrived today from Pendraken. They have started producing templates for Blitzkrieg Commander IV and I have acquired most but not all (I did not need suppression and deployed markers). So what have I purchased?

This is the 30cm Air Support Bomber template and the 20cm Artillery Concentration template. 

The 20cm Artillery Barrage template.  

Continued -

Tuesday 27 August 2019

On the Workbench: Prince Maurice's Horse & Lifeguards

More cavalry finished for the ECW Battle of Glastonbury:

These are Prince Maurice's Lifeguards in front with his Horse regiment behind. Probably not historically accurate but I have his lifeguards all in the Continental Pot with near identical horses. I felt his lifeguard should stand out from the rest with a more uniform appearance.

I have been trying out different camera techniques here (thanks Peter Little). I am finally discovering more of what my camera can do having owned it for several years! One of the issues I had with many photos was keeping the whole unit in focus. I have tried here Peter's suggestion of F8 in depth of field with the optimum shutter speed for the lighting conditions. More experimentation is needed. All the photos I took came out a little dark and I needed to lighten this one before posting. With any luck I will be able to eliminate the annoying glare some suffered from, particularly with light desert bases. 

Friday 23 August 2019

On the Workbench: ECW Cavalry

Another unit has been completed for the Battle of Glastonbury. This is the Royalist, Earl of Caernarvon's Horse:

The regiment was split into 2 squadrons for the battle. Rather than one large regiment I painted the second squadron as the Earl of Northampton's Greencoats. They are virtually indistinguishable from Caernarvon's Horse but gives me another unit for future battles.

Another development involves a decision to increase my knowledge of photography! So far I have been only using basic settings on my camera and hoping they turn out ok. It will never be a hobby in its own right for me, I am just simply not enthused about cameras! However, I am conscious that some photos have not turned out as I would have liked. Daylight bulbs have been installed in my room which has greatly helped but I am finding certain colours create glare (especially desert bases) and others become garish (light blue on my Matildas and Hopton's bluecoats). So, fingers crossed, you should see more consistent photos in the future.

For camera buffs, mine is a Nikon D3100 SLR with no add-ons. Apart from that is a newly purchased Remote Shutter Release to speed up the process. Even though the camera is mounted on a tripod, pressing the shutter button can still create a slight wobble resulting in out of focus shots. I resort to using the shutter timer release, which although only a 10 seconds delay, can be time consuming if a number of photos need to be taken.

For the time being, now that I am on a roll, my ECW project will continue (with of course the 2mm Napoleonics and tree upgrades on the side). 

Tuesday 20 August 2019

Nap Campaign: Map Moves 25th March - nightfall 27th March 1808

Starting with an overview of the entire campaign area over the 3 days:

Nightfall 25th March

Nightfall 26th March

Nightfall 27th March
I will now zoom in on the 3 theatres: North West, North East and South West.

Continued -

Tuesday 13 August 2019

On the Workbench: River upgrades completed + ECW Cavalry

A busy time since my return from distant shores has limited my wargaming activity. I did however, manage to complete a project:

The large pond/small lake on the left marked the completion of improving the appearance of my river sections. They are resin purchased from Baccus. The latest river sections are flexible latex so I am guessing the resin versions are no longer available. Next up will be the streams/runoffs using acetate (see separate 'On the Workbench' posting for details).

Some progress has been made on figures. A large ECW Royalist cavalry regiment destined primarily to be the Earl of Caenarvon's greencoats. It was split into 2 squadrons for the Battle of Glastonbury and I have therefore decided to paint the 2nd squadron as the Earl of Northampton's greencoats which, apart from the cornet, will be virtually indistinguishable. 

In the background another small brigade of 2mm Napoleonic French line takes shape.