Saturday 8 December 2018

On the Workbench: 10mm George Washington and American Artillery

A few more to add to the collection of Pendraken 10mm AWI:


George Washington and staff. In reality he will double up as a divisional commander in other scenarios. Having acquired the figure from Pendraken I just had to include him.

Continued:



A battery of American 6pdrs. I had considered making them look a little more irregular in appearance but got rather carried away! Future units may have a rather more dishevelled look.

Followers of the blog will have seen a posting about acquiring new paint brushes from 'Rosemary and Co' (link to their site on the right hand column of my blog). Having now had a chance to put them through their paces I can report back that I am sold. These really are excellent brushes that maintain their shape well. One very minor quibble, which most of them suffered from, being one single hair that was slightly longer. Very carefully cutting off the excess sorted the problem. I will be ordering more in the new year to expand the collection. 

The Winsor and Newton matt spray varnish has also proved exceptional with a true matt finish. I am now coating the rest of my 10mm collection. The next rather larger task will be to give my 6mm figs a spray which will be done over time. A Prussian battalion has been give the treatment and it confirmed that it will be a job worth doing.


8 comments:

  1. Very nice! Thanks for the brush and varnish tip off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes thanks for the update on the varnish and brushes, most helpful. Will be ordering some asap.
    Cheers, Richard P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. I am sure you will find them as good as I have.

      Delete
  3. "And there was General Washington
    Upon a prancing stallion
    A giving orders to his men
    I guess there were a million!"

    (third verse to "Yankee Doodle")

    Both came out really well, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon, I paint 10mm and 12mm and must say that yours look wonderful and I can appreciate the skill and time you have given to them. Agree on the W&N varnish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Norm. Yes the varnish is good isn't it.

      Delete