Thursday 6 February 2020

On the Workbench: WOTR - Lots of Armour!

After a rather busy week I have managed to complete all the additional mounted and dismounted men-at-arms required for the forthcoming Wars of the Roses Kingmaker game - The Battle of Shrewsbury.

Light cavalry was also finished and as a result it is only foot figures now required before gaming can proceed.

I am still experimenting with the armour and reasonably happy so far. Basically started with block painting of silver, black wash and then a drybrush of the same silver (in this case Foundry). I had initially tried the GW Nuln Oil but it did not define the features as much as I would have liked. It could be because of the small scale. Their old Armour Wash was better. A thinned down black was used instead but in the longer term I am planning to knock up my own 'magic wash'. i.e. floor polish mixed with black paint.


10 comments:

  1. They look great and the cavalry is certainly impressive. With the infantry maybe some slightly different 'shades' of silver or washes to help break up things up? I agree that black ink works better than say their old devlin mud, which is agrax earthshade now, which is my default wash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Their old 'Armour wash' more clearly defined the folds and crevices. I found the Nuln Oil to just leave a darkened finish to the whole figure, which after drybrushing virtually eradicated the wash. I find Agrax is better but only on certain figures or models.

      Delete
  2. Now that does look the part. Very impressive line up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combination of shiny armor and colorful banners really makes army “pop!”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. I am really looking forward to seeing how you manage the army on the tabletop in relation to the deployment / admin of archers and melee foot and their combination or otherwise as units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. The rules I will be using are my own using the General de Brigade mechanics as the basis and working out from there. They still require a considerable amount of work so this game will be another test for them. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will deliver a credible outcome!

      Delete