Monday 27 January 2020

On The Workbench: Trees Finished

Finally I have completed the tree upgrades:


I did not count them but there are a lot! To give some idea, there are 30 pine trees in the bottom left. These are all cheap trees purchased from China and can be seen in their entirety in the ACW Battle of Seven Pines. They have been bulked out using Woodland Scenics clump foliage. Their bases have also been improved with various foliage hiding the sharp edges of the mostly mdf bases. A number of them, including the pines, have penny coins for bases which I will be using in the future. Their weight gives added stability.

In time these will be added to, especially the pines - you can never have too many trees! For the time being I will be placing terrain on the sideline as I concentrate on completing my Wars of the Roses figures for the next game in the Kingmaker campaign. With only 2 weeks to go before my long 5 week break I will also be suspending my games to get as many figures painted as possible beforehand. So please bear with me as there will be no AAR's for a couple of months.

As an aside I have been listening to the back catalogue of podcasts by the comedian Al Murray and historian James Holland called "We have ways of making you talk".
If you are not aware of this podcast I highly recommend it. It began earlier last year and concentrates on WW2. Great to listen to as you paint.

10 comments:

  1. Good idea to use 1p coins. That's a forest and a half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awful lot of tress, but for your size games you really do need them and they make the table look great. I use 1p & 2p coins, depending upon tree size and the extra base weight does help an awful lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I did not start using coins which is an obvious route to go down. Certainly ideal for tree stability.

      Delete
  3. These look great Jon apologies for not being in touch but domestic duties are ruling at present. Good luck with the five week break.

    Regards

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Just experimenting with 0.5mm and 0.75mm thickness plasticard for my WW2. How are you getting on with this so far? Seem to recall you are going with the 0.75mm.

      Delete
  4. Most impressive (and always useful) forest, well done!!

    ReplyDelete