Wednesday 21 February 2018

Building Templates for 6mm figures

The question of representing figures in buildings has come up several times in forums and facebook groups. Many of the 15mm mdf buildings have removable rooves but I have never seen this in 6mm and I doubt if it is practical.

I have been experimenting with sketching building templates on paper with the footprint equal to the number of figure bases it can contain (in my case 15mm x 15mm). When figures enter a building they are placed on the template. In this way it removes clutter on the tabletop (I used to place figures next to the building which was not really practical) and also prevents the need to physically remove the building replacing it with figures. I always thought that would look rather odd.

Here is an example of the templates I created for the Waterloo battle currently underway.
As you can see the building roughly correlates with its position in the village, farm, chateau etc. The paper is taped to a board which makes it easy to move around and quickly check who is where. When the building is attacked it is easy enough to quickly check the numbers contained therein.

I am still playing around with this and it will probably need some tweaking yet, but so far I am pleased with the results and for me anyway, it has solved an irritating problem.

For those with different base sizes it should be easy enough to adapt.

7 comments:

  1. I did the much the same when I was gaming the 1809 Italian theatre. Very practical - but I did end up making flag stands to indicate which buildings were controlled by which side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea Christopher. Will have to give that consideration in the future especially where there are many buildings.

      Delete
  2. Like it! Like you it say does away with having loads of bases piled up against the side of buildings.
    Cheers, Richard P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. So far surprisingly easy and cannot understand whey I did not do it before.

      Delete
  3. Great idea! I've struggled with the same issue as I base my figures on 20mmx20mm squares. I like Christopher's flag idea too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A.P. Should be easy enough to adapt to your sized bases too. There is a possibility in my Nap Campaign that a future battle will involve a town with a significant number of buildings. If I end up fighting through it the flag idea will be extremely handy.

      Delete