Tuesday 5 April 2022

On the Workbench: Two Foot Regiments for Edgehill

 More units for Edgehill roll off the production line!

For Parliament, Brooke's Purplecoat regiment. Part of Thomas Ballard's brigade and a pike/musket ratio of 1:1. I have reduced several bases to 4 figures to allow for the formation to look right. I have minimised this as much as possible as in this scale it can be fiddly!

Dutton's whitecoat regiment for the Royalists. This was part of Charles Gerard's Brigade. In time, as the collection expands, more musketeers will be added to this and other pike heavy regiments for future games. 


14 comments:

  1. Wow, two more cracking units there Jon! I've never been a fan of purple but Brooke' regiment does look damned good. Ditto Dutton's, even though they are Royalist;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Steve. I can't tell you how many shades of purple I experimented with! My favourite was an old Humbrol Acrylic pot which was my go-to for purple and never found one that gave (for me) as satisfactory a shade. Unfortunately, at over 25 years old, the Humbrol finally became unusable!

      Delete
  2. They look great. Need to smarten up my ECW figures to match!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purple may not be great look for soldiers but every early Parliamentarian army has to have a Brooke's - so distinctive. Mine is olny 40-strong but at 25mm I think they can take yours no trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good Jon Edgehill is something I am really looking forward too

    Regards Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Peter. Still some way off before I can get it on the table. So many damn figures to paint!

      Delete
  5. And a house move, in some way I feel I ought to sympathise ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This damn house move is driving me nuts! Builders telling me another delay now. Only a few days but as the feel of pulling teeth!

      Delete
  6. Lovely mini's Jon. I often wonder what dye was used by Brookes to get purple rather than lavender. Given that purple dye was once so expensive as to be the preserve of Roman Emperors I wonder if it was a display of conspicuous wealth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Elenderil. I am not familiar with Brookes' background but yes it is intriguing his motivation for clothing his regiment in purple.

      Delete