Thursday 16 December 2021

On The Workbench: Pony Wars US Cavalry & Dismounted Braves

An absolute barnstormer of a cold has disrupted my wargaming! Any thought of putting something on the table was out although I did manage to keep some semblance of figure painting ongoing. 

200 more Zulus were completed before I ran out of steam - my goodness do I find them boring to paint! Pony Wars though pulled me back and very much looking forward to getting some games played. 

I have been getting in the mood watching old John Wayne films such as 'Fort Apache' and 'She Wore a Yellow Ribbon' along with the more recent non-Wayne 1967 film 'Custer of the West'. The latter film I first saw as an 11 or 12 year old soon after it was released at our boys school cinema club. At the time I thought it was fantastic although a little dated now. 

First up was a batch of 96 dismounted braves:


Continued -


Basing was similar to their mounted versions with a mix of singles, doubles and trebles. 

The latest figures to be completed are 3 troops of US Cavalry. Each troop consists of 4 sections of 5 figures (as per the rules). 3 more troops will see the mounted cavalry completed.

A considerable number of these are based singly. These are not massed battles so should be easy enough to move around the tabletop.





It is unlikely now that I will get any games played before the new year and will continue to concentrate on painting for the Pony Wars project. 

In all likelihood the next blog update will be a review of the year followed by my ambitions for 2022. I will therefore wish all readers of the blog a happy Christmas - have a great one. 

14 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your bad cold Jon! Normally my wife will bring one home from school but, famous last words, we've avoided it this year. More impressive work as always but I think that so many similar troops would do my head in. Mind you I'm not well known for being able to maintain focus when painting my figures. Finally just to wish you and yours a very safe and Merry Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold was a gift from the granddaughter! Of course being young she shrugged it off in no time. All the best for Xmas Steve and many thanks for your support throughout the year.

      Delete
  2. You seem to get more painted with a cold than I do without - the Pony Wars is coming on nicely and I'm looking forward to seeing a game or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those look great. Always loved the Plains War period but I do it with Blue Moon 18mm figs. Looking forward to your AARs when the time comes.

    Custer of the West was a terrible movie, though like you as a kid I thought it was cool.

    Best Custers Last Stand IMHO is a TV miniseries in the 90s I believe, Son of the Morning Star, you can find the battle sequences on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Joseph for the tip regarding Son of the Morning Star. Have found the full miniseries on Youtube although a fairly poor picture quality. Will have a watch.

      Delete
  4. Fighting off a cold as well, also thanks to a granddaughter! This is the first I’ve seen of the Baccus PW figures. Yours look quite splendid. If they take advantage of that rough terrain I see behind them, they’ll give the US some problems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are nice figures and a joy to paint. More rough terrain is to be added giving the hostiles plenty of opportunities!

      Delete
  5. Good morning Jon. Well done for not giving in to the man flu. All the Baccus figures look good these days and your painting really enhances them and gives your scenarios a real quality feel.
    The singles of the cavalry can be used as scouts if allowed in the rules.

    Regards Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Peter. Yep, the singles should allow for flexibility in their use.

      Delete
  6. Just encountered and read back the two earlier posts before this one. Skin tone works well as does your painting, quite nice. I, like others, have a rather large 15/18 mm collection - like really massive. And one day it might all be painted - underway but only just.

    On the terrain front, if you are doing the Plains Wars and not the Apache Wars, then opt for a green to dry-grass yellow and skip the desert and all that Monument Valley stuff. Pretty much nothing happened there historically (Navajo country anyway). It was John Ford and Hollywood that gave us that terrain.

    My "big" battles are Greasy Grass and Where The Girl Saved Her Brother (native American names for Little Big Horn and Rosebud). Both are early enough in the season for that latitude to be mostly green. Been to both - though in September when it was more yellow - but still plenty of green along the waterways and trees and such. Oh, and I do include Apaches in my collection which is a challenge on the basing front to decide what to do.

    Biggest surprise in the visit was how short the buffalo jump was at Rosebud. I guess it doesn't take a big plunge for a stampeding buffalo to meet its end, or at least be immobilized by a broken ankle.

    Look forward to seeing your games one day - even if you go Hollywood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your interesting comments. I did struggle a little with the native American skintone. Probably should be a little darker but the problem with 6mm being that they benefit from painting a shade lighter than normal otherwise they can take on the appearance of dark blobs!

      With regard to setting, the rules get their inspiration from the films and the same applies for myself. It may well be that in time I will have the urge for more historical actions with The Battle of the Little Big Horn being a must.

      I envy you visiting those places. Aside from the historical significance they do look like a beautiful part of the world.

      I have some distance to go to get all the figures painted and terrain constructed but hopefully will not take too long.

      Delete
  7. I can't help but hum the tune to 'She Wore a Yellow Ribbon' looking at these pictures! I've been in a hobby slump that I'm now emerging from so catching up on your blog, and as ever it's inspirational. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for that Sean and pleased you are enjoying the blog.

      Delete