Sunday 5 July 2020

On the Workbench: Hood and Prince of Wales

Completed in the past week are 1/3000 scale HMS Hood and HMS Prince of Wales. Both are Navwar and as with Bismark and Prince Eugen, they have undergone a renovation.

This will be the last naval vessels for a time while I concentrate on other WW2 figures and terrain.

Sea Bases

In response to a request on how I model my sea bases, I repeat here details originally on the Bismark and Prince Eugen post.

My bases are usually artist card cut to the size of the ship rather than any generic size. For the larger ships such as these, I have used 1mm thick plasticard which reduces the chances of warping.

Filler is added shaping a bow wave together with other smaller random waves. I firstly paint black around the filler where it meets the hull. The blue base coat is Vallejo 965 Prussian Blue.

Next a heavy drybrushing of Vallejo 962 Flat Blue is applied leaving the darker blue in the troughs of waves. A lighter drybrush of Coat 'd Arms 206 Light Blue is added enhancing the shading effect. A heavy drybrushing of white is applied to the sea along the ship sides and liberally around the stern. Finally a very light drybrushing of white is applied to the bow and random waves.

The whole model is given 2 coats of matt varnish and when dry, I paint the sea a gloss varnish (I use a bottle of Humbrol).

This is obviously purely my take and hope it will provide for some ideas for those who are struggling with sea bases.

4 comments:

  1. Two lovely ships once again and nice to know how you've gone about painting the bases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As with the previous vessels, this is a fantastic restoration job Jon! Well done!

    ReplyDelete