Saturday 27 April 2019

On the Workbench: 6mm Lutheran Seminary, City building & Redoubts

Two more buildings completed for Grissburg, one also for Gettysburg:

A city (hall) building and the Lutheran Seminary of Gettysburg fame. 

The 6mm figures illustrates the size of these buildings. 

Another view of the Seminary. Both buildings are from Total Battle Miniatures. Although the design of TBM's buildings make them easy to paint, the Seminary was a pain.... all those windows! Satisfying in the end though.

Continued -
I have decided that for my next Napoleonic campaign battle, Grissburg, I will provide the Prussians with some defences to their capital. As a precaution, the Prussians had already constructed redoubts and in the light of Blucher's defeat, had begun adding barricades etc.

These redoubts have been purchased from Total Battle Miniatures. From the top, an extra large redoubt (5 piece), 2 x large redoubts (3 piece) and one medium redoubt. They also manufacture small versions which I intend to acquire in due course. For now though these will do.

As can be seen by the battery of 6mm artillery, these are pretty meaty pieces. For the multi-part redoubts I have cut out bases from hardboard. These have now been glued into position.

Filler has been added to fill cracks between joints and to blend them into their bases. When completed I will create a separate post to show each stage of their completion.


10 comments:

  1. Lovely job on the buildings, especially the Seminary. Nice start on the redoubts and look forward to seeing progress on these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Steve. The Seminary was certainly a challenge.

      Delete
  2. Great looking buildings, and the redoubts will "doubtless" come out looking super as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the 6mm resin buildings, they really set the scene. Also like the way you have done the redoubts, visually very pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooohh they are nice. Good modelling on all fronts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I frequently get mental blocks when doing terrain as not my favourite part of the hobby. Keeping my fingers crossed for the redoubts!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jon, lovely paint job! As you know I have painted a lot of buildings - I can definitely recommend using a 0.3mm permanent marker. I picked mine up really cheaply, 10 different colours for a few pounds, so not expensive. You get a lot more control and often the windows are recessed which makes things much easier. Alternatively try a dark wash with a small amount of paint and let capillary action take care of the window. Cracking job though.
    CtM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for that Charles. I will definitely look into the permanent marker route. Always willing to try new techniques especially with buildings which I frequently suffer from a mental block! I have tried the dark wash occasionally. Your Brecourt Manor board is superb by the way.

      Delete