Tuesday 5 June 2018

Operation Nostalgia preperations

A good deal of time over the past few days has been spent going through my collection of ships recording what I have for the forthcoming campaign. A shopping list is being drawn up to fill any gaps. I hope to have the same ships represented in each of the scales where possible. 

My current collection of 1/600 scale vessels. A mix of what is now Heroics & Ros Coastal Forces and PT Dockyard. This will certainly be expanded, particularly the smaller craft.

Continued -


I have also been going through General Quarters 3.3 rules. I bought these a couple of years ago but yet to play them. My last WW2 naval game used GQ2 rules and that was over 10 years ago! They are incredibly detailed, and at first glance I wondered whether I had made the right choice. Was it all simulation and no fun? On closer inspection I was relieved to see that it was not as complicated as first thought and it does appear to be an improvement over the last version. In reality it is a completely new set of rules rather than an upgrade. 

Going through my 1/3000 collection I realised that most, if not all, would require at least sprucing up if not completely repainting. The following ships have been completed today:

The Italian Navigatori class destroyer, Luca Tarigo in 1/1200 scale. 
A British type 3 Hunt Class destroyer and 4 x Fairmile MGB's in 1/3000 scale.
There was a Type 3 Hunt Class destroyer named HMS Bleasdale. As it is my surname I naturally had to include it in my fleet. I have the same ship in 1/1200 scale but sadly not in 1/600. The closest I could find was a Type 2. 

The Italian cruiser Raimondo Montecuccoli and Spica class Torpedo Boat, Astore in 1/3000 scale.
All of these ships will play a role in the Operation Nostalgia campaign. I shall shortly begin work on the orbats as soon as I have completed cataloguing my naval collections.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic stuff. This project is really taking shape and I for one can't wait to follow it's progress.
    Cheers, Richard P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. Quite a bit of work to do but hope to get started on the campaign proper soon.

      Delete
  2. Interesting, even if well outside my gaming experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I promise you there will be more Napoleonic stuff. Have just visited Oporto, unfortunately the city centre rather than the site of my next Peninsular War battle. However, it did give me an idea of the topography of the area and the almost cliff-like sides to the River Douro.

      Delete