Thursday 23 November 2017

General de Brigade rule amendments for 6mm

I have previously commented about the command and control mechanism I use for my 6mm Napoleonic and ACW games to replace those contained within General de Brigade and Guns at Gettysburg rules. I include here some of my thoughts on using 6mm figures and other rule amendment I have made.

For me, the pleasure of using 6mm figures is that it enables me to field large forces on a standard wargames table (for me that is maximum 7'6" x 4'6" but most are played on less than that). This means fielding several Corps but still having the battalion as the base unit. A frequent comment is heard that when playing such a large level game, you, as the army commander, will not be interested in what individual battalions are doing. Therefore the base unit tends to be the Brigade with abstract mechanisms to represent combat. I can fully understand the reasons for those comments and this is not meant as any criticism, but I am interested in what is happening at battalion level simply because it is part of the fun of wargaming. It can provide for intense drama with an almost cinematic feel to a game.





E.g. I recently played a game with almost 4,000 figures on the table and a single French battalion under the command of an ADC was holding a wood on the extreme right flank of the French line. As the battle played out it became imperative for that French unit to hold otherwise there was a real danger that the attacking Prussians could roll up the flank. It managed to rout an entire Prussian Landwehr regt (3 battalions), and resisted attacks from two regular line battalions despite being bombarded by a Prussian artillery battery. By the end of the battle it was almost down to half strength but still formed and still holding the flank!

My approach would not be suited to playing a game on a club night over 2 or 3 hours (it can take me almost as long to complete one move when using several thousand figures!) but as a mainly solo gamer, time is not a problem for me. I did feel though that some changes needed to be made otherwise a game could get severely bogged down and there was also practicalities when handling such large numbers of small scale figures. Especially when basing as I do on 15mm square bases for infantry (20mm x 15mm for cav and 15mm x 20mm for arty).

The first to go was skirmishers. They were just too small to handle and slowed play. So far I have not experienced any obscure results by omitting them. Battles still feel right. I had considered adopting an abstract system similar to that contained in the Grande Armee rules. i.e. allocating each unit an 'SK' value, but it would have still slowed play a little too much.

The firing chart in General de Brigade and Guns at Gettysburg lists the number of figures firing to calculate casualties. To speed this process I replaced the number of figures with an appropriate number of stands. It was far easier to see and also removed the need to keep referring to the orbats.

I wanted to avoid as much as possible clutter on the tabletop so I record casualties on an orbat and remove bases when an appropriate number of figures has been lost.


To illustrate why I have made the changes I have, I include this photo of a fictional action I played as part of a campaign which included a total of 5,000 figures on the table (French v Prussians). Trying to play skirmishers etc. would have been mind boggling! This table was 6' x 3'9". Or 12' x 7'6" if I had used 15mm, or 24' x 15' in 28mm!!! Thumbs up for 6mm!

8 comments:

  1. Excellent article, that table with all those figures! Wow, very impressive. I don't have a copy of Guns of Gettysburg, I shall have to look into that. I love how it takes three hours for a turn, the joy of solo play, that is how a wargame should be played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guns at Gettysburg are one of the General de Brigade family of rules. Very similar playing style to GdeB, which I like, but with adjustments for ACW. I could not agree more about the benefits of playing solo. GdeB and GatG have 8 phases to each turn. I tick off the phase I have just completed so sometimes, if I have a spare half hour, I just retire to the wargames room and complete a phase or two. By playing bite size chunks, rather than say a full 8 or 9 tiring hours, it keeps everything fresh maximising the enjoyment of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s a great post. I am very like minded. I am slowly building my Adler armies - started with purchases for Waterloo when I lived in London for a few years in the mid 90’s and still going with a recent purchase to take my 1813 allies up to strength to do Leipzig. I also want rules that give me detail and battalions and have played around with various systems. Still haven’t landed yet - although a recent purchase of General d’Armee is looking favourable (based on reading only so far).

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard. Thanks for your kind comments. Adler figures are superb and I very nearly went down that route rather than Baccus. The deciding factor for me was purely down to the fact that I could paint Baccus figures more quickly, and being a fairly slow painter that was quite important to get the figures on the table.

      I agree General d'Armee does look interesting. I decided though to stick to what I know as my bookshelves are already groaning under the weight of rule books!

      Delete
  4. Great blog mate. Love the pictures and attention to detail. Firstly I use to war game with a friend but alas not so much now. I have an extensive amount of 6mm adler naps and acw figures. I decided to try out solo war gaming myself on a 2ft x 2ft table ( all I had at hand) and I enjoyed it may I say more.

    Now there is one reason I decided to comment and its purely on the basis of that I have been using general de brigade for over a decade, so when grand armee came available I was a doubter of trying them out as GDB was my only rule book I enjoyed playing naps with. However curiosity got the better of me and purchased them less than a year ago. Now like I said GDB was all I ever used but I'm so glad I did change.

    I still play like yourself big games with my figs and the new rules still and indeed encourage it. The are simplified in all areas for battalion level to corps and I can't say enough to try them. Oh and one big factor.....they are excellent for solo game play.

    Ricky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in replying Ricky. I missed your post. Thanks for your comment and very interesting. I take it that you are referring to General d Armee (or Grande Armee by Sam Mustafa which I am familiar with). If GdA can you confirm how the casualty system works. I got the impression no figure removal.

      Delete
    2. Deep apologies a year or more to respond as for some odd reason I didn't get a notification and I was browsing your blog today....a bit embarrsing the lateness

      Anyhoo yes it was general de armee I meant. Only figures removed is skirmish bases.

      As it's been over a year I hope you may have tried the rules, I now game on a 4 x 3 table and the rules really to me are cleaner and faster than GdB, also to me the best part for a solo wargamer is the availability of your generals which stops you doing what you want to do when you might want to do it.

      Again sorry for this late...very late....extremly late reply 🙄

      Delete
    3. No problem Ricky. A lot of responses on my blog get missed on email notifications. I have given GdA a good look and while it has many positive features I will be sticking with GdB for the time being. That is not to say that it won't change in the future though! Many thanks for your input, certainly food for thought.

      Delete