Tuesday 2 January 2024

Plans for 2024

As any wargamer knows, planning a year ahead with any degree of accuracy can prove a challenge! A sudden urge to start a new period, campaign, or particular battle, tends to intrude. That said, I will once again lay out what I hope to be the direction of my wargaming in the coming year.

As in previous years I will break down my plans into Battles, Campaigns, Painting/Modelling.

BATTLES

ANCIENTS:

Early Imperial Roman 20th Legion v Ancient British Cantii tribe who have rebelled.


ECW:

Edgehill - This is a definite and I know this as it is currently occupying my tabletop. Hope to have a blog posting very soon.


NAPOLEONIC:

Peninsular War project - Battle of Busaco 27th September 1810. Approximetely 2/3 of the figures I needed to paint were completed this past year. All being well this should be on the tabletop before the end of the year.

Napoleonic Campaign - The next map moves have yet to be completed but confident at least one action will be played out.


ACW:

Gettysburg Day 2 - I have lost count as to how many times I have stated this will be played. Part of the delay was down to me dithering about scratchbuilding terrain such as the Little Round Top. I have decided to just run with what I have got and thus cautiously optimistc that this will be played out. 


PONY WARS:

The end is in sight for figure painting although terrain needs to be constructed. I am hopeful I will be able to play this before the year is out.


WW2:

Battle south of Nibeiwa - Operation Compass campaign. I have some rule tweaks to complete around the propensity of the Italians to surrender en-masse at this stage of the war. Some of my desert terrain boards are in need of attention which will also be used in the Pony Wars project. 

Groesbeek Heights - Op Market Garden. This is a repeated target from last year but now, as then, will depend on how quickly I am able to paint up the required figures.


Continued -


CAMPAIGNS

ANCIENTS:

Roman invasion of Britain. This should continue with the Romans seeking to teach the Cantii a lesson.


NAPOLEONIC:

Warplan 5/5 campaign to continue. The French are in full retreat on all 3 fronts. Map moves have yet to be completed which I am hoping to resolve early in the new year.


ACW:

I intend to suspend this campaign for the present as there is little prospect of me having the time to move it forward. It is not a campaign that I find inspiring at present so may well be put on ice for a considerable time.


WW2:

Op Compass campaign to continue with 2 actions pending. At least one, and hopefully both, will be played.


WW2 NAVAL:    

I enjoyed my return to WW2 naval last year, particularly the "Defending the Malay Barrier" campaign. This should feature over the coming year.



PAINTING/MODELLING

Targets for the year:

I shall be aiming for a more realistic 2,000 x 6mm figures painted. My targets:

150 x Pony Wars 
400 x WW2  (Groesbeek Heights)
600 x Napoleonic (Busaco)
800 x Punic Wars (Trebia) / or Napoleonic (Austerlitz)

Austerlitz is a new project which will be played at 1 unit per brigade using adapted GdB rules. I am not sure yet which will take precedence this year, Trebia or Austerlitz or a mix of the two.

Terrain - 

Pony Wars buildings, fort, mining camp + various mountain passes etc.
Refurbish desert terrain boards and river boards

In all likelihood there will be a few ships and aircraft to add to the list as well as other bits and pieces of terrain.

And finally, my collections and projects list has been updated.

A happy new year to everyone and have a great wargaming year.

8 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Jon! You have some interesting projects in store for 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some good plans there Jon but as well all know, whether they come to fruition is often beyond our control, or so it seems to me. I hope you get the Gettysburg and Groesbeek Heights games in, along with more of your Napoleonic campaign, which is just brilliant! Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Steve. And a happy new year to you and your family.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jon, ambitious plans, but everything on the list interests me, so I will be just pleased with whatever you are able to share this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year Jon.
    That is an interesting list of games to play and a lot of painting to get done. I hope you have a great 2024 and thanks for all your posts.

    ReplyDelete