Friday 10 May 2019

On the Workbench: 6mm Napoleonic Redoubts

I thought I would give a quick run through on how I completed the redoubts supplied by Total Battle Miniatures. To recap these are the medium, large and extra large redoubts. A small redoubt is also available which I did not purchase on this occasion. 

I completed the medium redoubt using it as a test for the larger versions. 

The large redoubt comes in 3 sections and the extra large redoubt in 5. Having washed and cleaned up the models I cut out bases from hardboard (not needed for the medium redoubt).

Top is the extra large redoubt with 2 large redoubts and the medium redoubt at the bottom. I surformed the base edges and glued the redoubts using PVA glue. The 6mm batteries give some indication of the size of these models.

Once dry I applied filler to the joins including to the bases blending in with the models.

Continued -

Again using VA glue, I applied sand and grit mix with a few small stones. The models are already textured so there was no need to cover the entire model.


I used Wilco tester pots to apply the initial 'earth' colour. I used 'Nutmeg Spice' with a small amount of 'Soft Hessian' to create lighter patches.

A black wash was now applied to the gabions and any other items lying around such as wheels, wooden poles etc. 

The whole of each model was drybrushed in Artiste 'Vanilla Bean' followed by Artiste 'Latte' and finally Vallejo 883 Silvergrey. For those not familiar with Artiste, it is a cheap Acrylic paint found in most craft shops.

For the final stage I added flock. This was a mix of Javis Fine Turf light green and mid green. The primary reason for choosing this particular flock was to make the models blend in with my terrain boards as can be seen in the following photos.




I sprayed the finished models with a coat of matt varnish to provide some protection and to hold down any loose flock.

These, and the medium sized redoubt, should feature in the forthcoming Grissburg battle although I will not know for certain until the board is laid whether I will have space for them all.

22 comments:

  1. Very nice pieces and a superb match with your tiles. Good result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Jon and always good to see the same flock as the board. Looking forward to seeing these in action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the redounts, interesting step by step post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent redoubts, and tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chasseur, hope it will give some ideas although I am by no means an expert!

      Delete
  5. These would serve very nicely for the five French redoubts at Malplaquet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon, if you don't mind could you tell me what brushes you use for the 6mm figures? For me the quality of brushes (poor) is the single biggest pain in the backside and I've tried lots. Perhaps I'm suffering from false memory syndrome but I'm sure they were a lot better 20 or 30 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Rosemary & Co brushes. There is a link to the right on my blog. Pure Sable series 92 ultra fine brushes in 4/0, 7/0 and 10/0 (4/0 and 7/0 get the most use). Also red squirrel and nylon blend series 401 in 0 to 2 which are long bristle brushes. These are great brushes and at a fraction of the price of the old Winsor & Newton brushes I used previously.

      Delete
  7. Great looking redoubts, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very effective terrain rendering Jon. Nice work! TBM make fantastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree about TBM. All the buildings in my Waterloo game were produced by them. Great to deal with too.

      Delete
  9. Jon, I'm obliged and have just put a first order in for 8 brushes. I've followed your advice regarding types and sizes. Prices look excellent for the quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will be pleased with them Kevin. It was a professional figure painter who drew my attention to them and have never looked back.

      Delete
  10. Jon these look absolutely terrific. Very well done indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great explanatory post Jon, thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Peter. Some of my terrain construction can be a little hit or miss at times but these are fine for me.

      Delete