Saturday 16 February 2019

On the Workbench: 6mm 30 Corps and Dugouts

Completed this week was the armour for the 2nd Armoured Battalion of the Irish Guards, XXX Corps together with a bunch of QLT trucks for the Op Market Garden Project.

This is the Rapid Fire organisation from their Op Market Garden scenario book. In the lead is the HQ company that includes an OP tank (FAO) and Air Link half-track (FAC). Companies A - C follow each with 1 x Firefly and 2 x 75mm Shermans.

A bevvy of QLT trucks also completed. All models are from Heroics & Ros. 

Continued -



Dugouts and a building completed which means I can now continue with the Tummar West game.

I am currently painting a batch of Fallschirmjager and a stand of British Para engineers. After that I pretty much run out of stuff to paint for WW2 until Heroics & Ros reopen following their relocation.

While I wait for H&R I have dug out some Napoleonic Spanish for Talavera. The 2nd Mallorca line battalion was a large unit which will be represented by 72 figures. Rather then paint one large unit I have selected 3 line battalions with near identical facings. The Mallorca, Cordoba and Guadalajara battalions will therefore be painted using the 1805 pattern uniform. A total of 90 figures will cover what I need and will signal the beginnings of a new Division being raised in my Napoleonic Campaign.

12 comments:

  1. Those vehicles have come out very nicely, which reminds me that I’ve not finished my own (US Army) Sherman company. Enjoyed your last battle report btw, look forward to the next one.

    Cheers
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Pleased you enjoyed the Batrep. Will be starting Tummar West over the next day or so.

      Delete
  2. Good, something to look forward to in what will be a very busy working week.

    Did you make any changes to BKCII btw? Just wondered as I used to play it but there were certain aspects of it I didn’t get on with (such as the way hits come off at turn end and the way command units could move well ahead of a formation to maximise the chances of the formation activating multiple times).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I echo your views regarding those aspects of the rules. Playing solo I do not move the HQ unrealistically ahead in that way which obviously can reduce the number of activations. There is an option in the rules to use the HQ as an actual fighting unit which I do for the armour.

      Regarding removing the hits. I have tried the option of not removing them but then it becomes very bloody! I have considered increasing the number of hits a unit can take so that they are not destroyed so quickly but have left it for the present.

      Basically I am waiting to see how BKCIV turns out and if these issues are not addressed then I will take a closer look at resolving them myself. HQ's should be fairly easy as I will just have them as fighting units as per RF. They will then move at normal speed but keeping in contact with the units it is commanding.

      Delete
  3. All excellently painted. A few of us are awaiting the reopening of H&R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks TWR. My H&R order is getting ever larger while we wait. Could well be they are faced with a deluge of orders!

      Delete
  4. Not a fan of BKC but I do like your painting and modelling a lot. Makes me wonder if I might have a go at something in 1/300 (again)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. As you have probably gathered I am rotating out of the larger scales and going purely 6mm (apart from 10mm AWI). The latest H&R stuff is a big improvement on their old range at very decent prices.

      Delete
  5. The vehicles came out well. I like your plan for the Spanish Napoleonics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! Thought you might like that Peter. Have been checking over your figures as a guide.

      Delete
  6. Super work! Your terrain additions are sublime.

    ReplyDelete