Wednesday 15 August 2018

Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton

Within a 20 minute drive from where I live is the Fleet Air Arm Museum at the Royal Navy Air Station, Yeovilton. After living here for 9 years I felt it was about time I paid it a visit, especially with Op Nostalgia now underway! I have absolutely no idea why I have left it so long. One of those things on the 'to do' list but never seemed to get around to it.

For anybody who has not had a chance to visit the museum, it is very impressive spread over 4 halls. Unfortunately I ran out of time for the Carrier experience which lasts about 45 minutes. Here are a few photos from that visit.


Continued -


Hall 1
Walrus Seaplane (now these look like fun!)

Walrus Seaplane
Swordfish
Fairey Fulmar
Seafire



Grumman Martlet

Grumman Martlet
Corsair
de Havilland Vampire. First jet propelled aircraft to make a landing on an aircraft carrier in December 1945.
Overview of Hall 4.
The museum has many good looking models spread through all its halls. Here are some examples:-



The 3 photos of HMS Furious partially converted to what was to become the first aircraft carrier. Following these trials it was converted with a full flight deck installed.

Empire Macalpine

HMS Argus
HMS Fencer

HMS Fencer


HMS Ark Royal

HMS Ark Royal


HMS Eagle
HMS Ocean

HMS Victorious

HMS Vengeance
 The last photos are of a huge model of HMS Indomitable. The photos do not really do it justice.







If anybody is down in this area I thoroughly recommend a visit. Children are amply catered for with plenty for them to do. There is a cafe, shop and restaurant on site and there is also a viewing area of activity on the base.  

There are plenty of other aircraft and models, I have only given a snapshot here.

6 comments:

  1. I used to be taken for visits there by my Grandad when I was a child, so these pictures have brought back a lot of good memories. Now if only I had try space to be able to game with those ship models...

    Thank you for sharing the pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. Always a good sign when museums have plenty of models.

      Delete
  2. I think you would need a medium sized pond to game with those! That's a neat photo tour, Jon.

    ReplyDelete