Saturday 9 March 2019

On the Workbench: More 6mm Spanish units and 2mm arrives!

More Spanish units completed this week:

The Cadiz Line (left) and Aragon Light infantry. These are British supplied uniforms for later in the war so not suitable for Talavera. However, I will play fast and loose with a few units as I do not relish painting new Spanish armies as I progress through the Peninsular War.

The 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Cazadores de Antequera. Only one battalion was present at Talavera but being a large unit I will combine these two for the game. Also completed a battery of 6pdr Spanish artillery. 

More river sections completed including a couple of sections with trees attached. The 6mm figures gives some idea of scaling. 

The first pine trees supplied from China completed. I removed the plastic bases which made the trunk too large. They are not quite as dark as they appear in the photo and for the money they do a reasonable job. 

The first 2mm figures have arrived from Irregular Miniatures. And 6mm has been described as 'micro' scale! The 6mm Spanish base would beg to differ. I have ordered samples from across most of their range to establish what I felt would be most suitable. Next task is to paint a few up and see how they look.

I have had a look through the 'Blucher' rules and first impression is that I will probably stick with the earlier Grande Armee. The command and control system is not solo player friendly and it would need a good reworking to make it so. I can see how it would be fun to play during a 2 or 3 hour club night game but just a little too basic for me.  

8 comments:

  1. I will be interested to see how your 2mm samples come out. Based upon experience, bright colours work well with a subtle wash to tone things down a bit. A good base makes all the difference as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Close to completing them and will update the blog when done. Any guidance would be appreciated. It definitely requires a rethink even from 6mm. Agree about the base. Dropped my original intention of not basing completely!

      Delete
    2. IIRC, the Irregular Miniatures website has a guide on how to paint 2mm, with some excellent examples there. Check out the following as well:

      http://leadnobleed.blogspot.com/search/label/2mm

      Delete
    3. Many thanks Steve. Will check those out.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing how your 2s turn out. I have a friend building 3mm armies and these buggers are tiny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have finished a few and just waiting for a supply of mdf bases of the size I need to get them based up. So far I am pleasantly surprised. I will need to change my basing method to make the most of them and just hoping I get it right! Yes they certainly are small buggers.

      Delete
  3. Outstanding river sections. Are they commercial ones with trees and foliage added to the banks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Nudanket. Yes the rivers are from Baccus and as you say, I have added trees and foliage.

      Delete