Thursday 21 March 2019

On the Workbench: More 2mm, Medieval buildings and new streams.

More 2mm bases have been completed this week. This time it is Austrians:

These are the first Austrian bases. As you can see I have been experimenting with formations and base groupings. Rather than have generic standard bases I am aiming to very roughly represent the varying sizes of different brigades. This will be based on a 1:20 figure ratio. In the examples above, the massed columns on the left represent 3,500 men, as does the centre base. The base on the right is 3,000. 

In this scale the challenge is making each figure stand out. For the French I painted a blob of grey on the tops of their shakos. For the Austrians I have added a dash of gold/brass representing the front of their helmets or can be shako badges. 

Also for 2mm, I have completed my first buildings. These are from Irregular Miniatures and consist of a small village on the left and a farm.

Continued -


 2mm rivers or 6mm run-offs/small streams:

Turning my attention to rivers for 2mm I hit upon an old idea I had from the original Fire & Fury book. They gave guidance how to make simple rivers out of acetate. At the time (over 20 years ago now!) I gave it a try. It consisted of cutting out the river shape and painting the underside. They were then placed on the table with scatter material sprinkled along their banks. 

I very fortunately kept these together with several sheets of acetate. In the photo above are several of my original rivers. The central part of each section is a similar colour to my current rivers for 6mm. All I had to do therefore, is cut one section down and add banks. The result is on the left. 

And for comparison, the 6mm river on the right. I intend to use the 2mm variety as run-offs/small streams for 6mm.

Finally for this week I completed a couple more 6mm buildings. These are by Total Battle Miniatures from their excellent 'Walled Town Set'. Destined for ECW and WOTR, and a few may find their way into Grissburg!

16 comments:

  1. How big are the 2mm buildings? Could you compare them to the 6mm? And how big is your “town” base with the multiple buildings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are seriously small compared to 6mm. I have received some 2mm from Brigade Models which are a little larger than the above. Will paint up some soon for comparison. When you say 'town' base do you mean the village base. That is on a 40 x 40mm base. The farm is on a 25 x 25mm base.

      Delete
    2. Great, thank you for the info.

      Delete
    3. No probs Itinerant. If there is anything else you would like to know feel free to ask. All the best, Jon

      Delete
  2. Great work once again Jon. I agree that making each figure stand out is rather tricky, especially when at distance. I tend to go down the quite simplistic bright colour route and not worry too much about adding rifles etc, famous last words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snap with the rifles. Some figures are actually moulded with them! I too keep it basic, it is mainly the top down look that I had a few problems with.

      Delete
  3. Those river sections are extremely realistic Jon. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the river sections, I am coming to the conclusion that heavily foliaged banks is the way to do them for best visuals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the result as well. I will only know for certain that it has worked when I get them onto the tabletop for a game.

      Delete
  5. Man those are small! I had to enlarge the pic just to see the figures!
    I made rivers out of acetate as well. They look good enough on the game table I think when surrounded by trees and such. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I never thought I would return to 2mm having briefly looked at them a good few years ago. It is strangely therapeutic painting hundreds of figures in minutes (it takes longer to base them than paint them!). The acetate is certainly a quick way of making rivers and as you say can be effective.

      Delete
  6. I like the streams, and the 6 mm buildings look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Be honest though. You really like the 2mm!

      Delete
  7. How do you label the 2mm bases Jon as compared to your 6mm system. Apologies if I have not described my question that well

    Regards

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still experimenting but will probably be similar to 6mm. They will be either Grande Armee or Blucher style or at least similar to those.

      Delete