Friday 24 May 2024

On The Workbench: Pony Wars Terrain

More terrain pieces have been completed for Pony Wars. My first use of cork bark was used to make rocky terrain pieces which will also form rocky passes.

My terrain modelling skills are basic to put it mildly and much of this was trial and error together with guidance from various Youtube videos.

One side is sheer rock face with the rear sloped to allow access for the ambushers!
Continued -

Various configurations can be used to create different size and shaped passes.

Another terrain feature was the mine. The mine entrance and buildings are by Leven Miniatures. A small piece of cork bark positioned just above the entrance has some history to it. It is one of several pieces I still have from my father's model railway layout from the early 60's. It has also featured in many wargames for over 50 years, so about time it was properly incorporated into a terrain piece.


Baccus Teepees will form the native village. I had considered creating a single village base but mindful of my diminishing storage space settled on individual bases. This provides for some flexibility in size and shape of the village.

Although not essential for Pony Wars a useful addition is a railway. I experimented with the Baccus MDF tracks but not too happy with the results. I therefore fell back on the Irregular Miniatures track as used for my WW2 and ACW collections. 

The downside of these are that they are designed to go with Irregular Miniatures' trains which are designed for use with their own slightly smaller figures. I used these in my of my ACW battles on the blog and were clearly too small for the 8mm+ Baccus figures.

The good news is that Baccus' trains, although larger, are only marginally wider than the I.M. tracks. An order has gone in for a new supply and in the meantime I used my remaining spares to see how they looked in a desert setting. The photo is the result with construction using the same principle as my northern hemisphere version on the right. i.e. based on strips cut from magnetic sheet prior to adding sand and painting. 
This just leaves a mission and some homesteads to complete which are on order from Baccus. Then it will be good to go.

10 comments:

  1. They do look nice, you shouldn't diss your terrain-making skills. You might want to make some additional terrain pieces to extend your rocky passes as the intent in the game is that the passes form a short-cut. The players then have to decide whether to risk the ambush or take more time going round the long way - more time will equate to more Indians arriving, hence the dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that advice Rob. I will be using some existing rocky terrain but may well have to make more.

      Delete
  2. Great work on those rocky terrain pieces Jon, which reminds me I really should invest in a bag of larger cork pieces. The tepees look pretty cool too:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Steve. May will have to get more cork myself fairly soon.

      Delete
  3. Great work, reminds me of some very old articles in the early issues of Miniature Warfare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Jon. I really like the look of the hills and may have to try and do something similar. Very useful for any desert or dry terrain.
    For railway track I just ended up buying N-scale tracks for model trains for my 10mm battles. It was reasonable cost compared to the wargame stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ben. N-scale I would guess is ideal for 10mm. I experimented with Z-scale for 6mm but felt the rail was a little too thick for my taste.

      Delete
  5. Great work Jon, nice to see the rail road getting an airing.... the hills really feel like an Indian could be waiting to ambush you at any moment.

    ReplyDelete