Wednesday 5 May 2021

WW2 Reconnaissance in Strength: Part 1 - Mini Campaign Introduction

Back to WW2 and a long-awaited mini-campaign involving the Soviets.

I recommend checking my previous post under this label for background information relating to the campaign. The rules used will be Blitzkrieg Commander 4. Figures and vehicles are a mix of Heroics & Ros, 2D6 Wargaming and GHQ.

The action will be reported on the blog from a Russian perspective with the Germans controlled by AI. 

Orders of battle have been changed from the book increasing them in size. 

The Scenario

Russians

The force commander has been instructed to reconnoitre a mountain pass preparatory to a new Russian offensive. Not expecting any material opposition, Russian High Command believe they are incredibly generous allocating a reinforced motorised infantry regiment to complete the task. 

His task is to establish what, if any, German forces are occupying the pass and aggressively drive them out if he is confident of success. Which of course the High Command have no doubt that this is precisely what he will do!

The Russian commander despairs of the largely clapped out early model T34's making up his armoured support and the addition of a naval infantry battalion does not assuage his concerns. Its all very well believing there will be little opposition but the narrow steep-sided pass could prove to be a killing ground to a well organised defence. 

Germans

Several Fallschirmjager and SS units have been sent to a mountain pass, ostensibly to rest having been heavily committed in the fighting, but to hold it should the Russians foolishly attempt to find a way through. Their victory condition is simple to prevent the Russians from taking the valley.

This is the map from the book. I have recreated these to take account of my terrain which you will find below.

Continued - 

The Russian Orbats are included but the Germans will be left until the final posting. You, the reader, will in this way be in the same position as the Russians. Not knowing what is ahead!

The orbats are in BKC4 format:



Russian Order of March
Initially move along road unless indicated otherwise.
  1. Recce Battalion across width of battlefield

  2. 1st Motorised Inf Bn

  3. Medium tank Bn on flanks of 1st Mot Bn

  4. Sniper teams (anywhere on table)

  5. Motorised Inf Regt CO

  6. Mortar Bn

  7. 2nd Motorised Inf Bn

  8. CinC

  9. Anti tank Coy

  10. Artillery Bn

  11. Regimental Engineer Coy

  12. 3rd Motorised Inf Bn

  13. Anti Tank Bn

  14. Regt Inf Gun Coy

  15. Naval Inf Bn

  16. Naval Inf Support


The maps below represent those provided to the Russian commander. They are not 100% accurate and only contain the most basic of detail.

Each map is 3' x 3' on the tabletop. The Russians will start on Map 1 moving north to Map 2. Maps 3 to 9 are selected at random before finally arriving at Map 10. 

Most of the valley sides are steep and rocky making them inaccessible. That is not universal though and some areas will allow troops to gain the high ground flanking the valley.

The game will be played on a 4' 6" x 3' table allowing for 1.5 map areas to be included simultaneously. As the Russians move to a new map they are shunted along half a map at a time. Any troops that are on the part of the tabletop that is removed have their positions marked off on a map with calculations made when they will physically reappear. 


MAP 10
MAP 9

MAP 8

MAP 7

MAP 6

MAP 5

MAP 4

MAP 3

MAP 2

MAP 1
I will aim to create a separate blog update for each map as the Russians advance. 

One further note before I conclude this section - I have deviated somewhat from the original scenario which includes intelligence gathering of German troop dispositions. Hence 'Reconnaissance' in Strength. I have left this aspect out assuming that such intelligence will automatically be relayed back to Army HQ and concentrated on the action instead.

The next post will include the Russians arrival on Map 1 at the southern end.

25 comments:

  1. Jon, You had me running to get my Programmed Wargame Scenarios out. This should be very very interesting encounter.....looking forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I endorse BKC Grenadier's observation, also having the 'Black Scenario Book'. Looking forward to seeing how this will go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon, as always a ton of work for the reader to admire / respect, but this groundwork has the makings of an exceptional wargaming experience - looking forward to whatever unfolds and yes ...... my Programmed Wargame Scenario book is now off the shelf :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Norm. Whenever I look at the book I keep thinking I should use it more!

      Delete
    2. I second, Norm's comment. You have gone to a great deal of effort in your presentation and I look forward to following along.

      Delete
  4. Really looks amazing and I look forwards to the results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your maps are very nicely done. Looking forward to reading your posts on this mini-campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I must say I love what you've done here Jon and am really looking forward to seeing how this plays out. After your initial post I did get to play this campaign, setting it during the ACW and using BPII. Some of the scenarios worked well, others less so, mainly due to the Defenders not having enough troops to offer meaningful resistance. So your increasing the units involved should help ameliorate this.

    Funnily enough I have been thinking of getting a similar game out for the weekend using BKCII and set in Italy, but as a one off game and a sort of defence in depth scenario. This just might spur me on and also to re-read BKCIV, which I really should do but am too comfortable with BKCII!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for that Steve. Understand your sentiments regarding BKCII but as I had used it only a few time before BKCIV came on the scene I was perhaps not quite as wedded to it. There is not a huge difference between them though.

      I agree about the Orbats. For WW2 in particular it appeared to leave them very thin on the ground. I have also narrowed the valley slightly so cancelling out some of the numerical superiority of the attackers.

      Delete
  7. Once again Jon, this has the making of a cracking campaign. I never made enough use of the scenarios in the PWS book, having used the other one, Scenarios for Wargames, more often. I reread the scenario obviously from the book but specifically avoided looking at the Red options.
    The Russian Orbats are included but the Germans will be left until the final posting. You, the reader, will in this way be in the same position as the Russians. Not knowing what is ahead! A question, if I may, and I quote from your outline at the start:
    "The Russian Orbats are included but the Germans will be left until the final posting. You, the reader, will in this way be in the same position as the Russians. Not knowing what is ahead!" Do YOU KNOW the initial or total strength of the Fallschirmjaeger/SS forces available or are you letting the AI generate them from map to map and just increasing their size appropriate to that of the Russians. I am already inspired to put this on the table but will await the outcome of your game. I will use US/British forces and BKC IV also. So not only will I have the joy of following your campaign but also subsequently seeing what happens when I attempt it. I simply cannot wait !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do know the German Orbats but obviously the AI aspect will determine where they are positioned. It would certainly have been an option to randomly select the Germans but I would need more figures than I currently have painted to allow that to happen.

      You may have seen from the way I solo wargame that I do not get too hung up on AI or the fact I know more than I should of the opposition. Like you I have had to blank off looking at the Red options (not an easy thing to do!).

      Delete
  8. Forgive the duplicated typo .......

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you about not getting hung up on AI or knowing more than we should. I have always attempted to play both sides evenly or as impartially as possible. In the event of dicey situations I let the dice decide. However, I only recently became aware of a method called the Threat Generation System developed by a chap named Martin England. Now I am quite sure I am speaking to the converted in this regard and that you are way ahead of me, I haven't used the system yet but it appears to have much to recommend it and perhaps especially for the actions of the German forces subsequent to activation in your upcoming campaign. Just a randon thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up on the Threat Generation System. I was not aware of it and having quickly checked it does look intriguing. Certainly has potential for future scenarios and campaigns. I am a little too far along the planning for this campaign which is now underway but appreciate the suggestion. It does look ideal for WW2.

      Delete
  10. Great stuff Jon, glad to see you back to WWII and can’t wait to see how this plays out.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting content Jon, took a look at the Threat Generation System and I can see its attractions and uses especially for WW2 as you state.
    Would be interested to hear your thoughts on it when you have had more time to study it.
    This present campaign is looking very true to life certainly on the state of the Russian equipment and scouting methods.

    Regards Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Peter. Will shortly be posting the first of the action from the campaign. Have to say very enjoyable so far even though first contact was only achieved after several moves.

      Delete
  12. Jon your timing is perfect (for me anyway). I always find your battle reports fascinating, and since I am just starting to try my hand at WW2 wargaming, I will follow this mini-campaign closely. I am looking to start at the squad or platoon level for battles. Reminds of playing with WW2 soldiers as a boy. Any recommendations from you or your followers on good rulesets? Also, I see Threat Generation System mentioned several times here. It sounds interesting? Where can I find it? Looking forward to the action.
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dale. I am using Blitzkrieg Commander IV which can be scaled at one base = 1 squad rather than the 1 per platoon. It sounds like Chain of Command by TooFatLardies may be suitable for the level you are aiming at. Superb set of rules and very popular. Unfortunately not set at the level I prefer.

      The Threat Generation System can be found in Miniature Wargames issue 373.
      All the best
      Jon

      Delete