Tuesday 1 October 2019

On the Workbench: Royalist Foot

Good progress has been made of late with the ECW project. 2 more Royalist foot regiments have been completed including another with a slight colour change:



The blue and greencoats in the foreground are the newly completed regiments. I know that very few, if any, regiments managed to maintain any uniform appearance but well.... these are wargame figures! In my old re-enactment days all regiments wore their designated colour coat with pride and although not strictly accurate, it does look good. 

The regiment in the background is Hopton's bluecoats and the first I painted. I have had something of a mental block with these. The first blue I tried was simply not right. A second attempt was better and featured in an 'On the Workbench' post. I was still not happy so once again tried another shade. This time Vallejo 902 Azure blue. They still look a little bright in the photos but are ok in the raw. This is the first time I have used Kevin Dallimore's 3 coat method on 6mm!    

The other issue was whether to go 2 or 4 deep with the musketeers. These are large units and strung out 2 deep would use a substantial chunk of the battlefield. So for these it is 4 deep for now which reflects the above depiction of Naseby quite well.

This brings to a conclusion the Royalist foot for the Battle of Glastonbury. I am now well into the Dragoons followed by the command bases which will complete the Royalist force. 

14 comments:

  1. Lovely work once again Jon. They really show how lovely 6mm miniatures can look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Steve. I do find they are a great scale to paint.

      Delete
  2. This trio of foote regiments looks super. Hard to believe these are 6s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jon

    Sorry for being a bit slow here but has Kevin a site then with this explained? I must have missed your post as well Jon.

    Regards

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter. Kevin Dallimore wrote a painting guide book more than 10 years ago now. It was principally aimed at painting 28mm figures using 3 coats of different shades. The Foundry paint system is a reflection on that. It really is not much use for 6mm as you would be wasting your time going into that sort to detail. On some of my WW2 figures I have added a second lighter colour just to bring the drab colours into life a little more but that's it.

      Delete
  4. Top quality, Jon. I note you use the KD 3-coat system. The quality shines through but I struggle to get enough minis painted as it is using a one coat system!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin. No I would definitely not use the 3 coat system for 6mm for the reason you say. Only on Hopton's bluecoats did this happen but purely because I was not happy with the first coats. Certain colours do need a second, such as red when painted on a black undercoat. The second coat though is quick only painting on the larger surfaces. Yep, one coat is generally enough.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jon

    What an informative map that is, even allowing for event recollection of that time it is a very interesting item.

    Regards

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Peter. One day I may even be able to create something like that in 6mm for Naseby.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I thought you were completing this week 😄😄😄

      Do you have a timescale for this element as I am now hooked.

      Regards

      Peter

      Delete
    3. Lol. Got to start on the Roundheads first. Not so many though and therefore a little quicker. Probably a couple of months yet. Just ordered some more Rosemary & Co brushes.... wearing mine out!

      Delete
  6. Nice big, impressive units Jon. 72 in each has got to be the biggest I've seen.

    What rules are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks nundanket.They will probably be the largest units I will create with many being smaller than that but, yes, I do like the look of the larger numbers. Painting time being the problem!

      I will be using 'Forlorn Hope' by Peter Berry. Similar in style to the General de Brigade family of rules.

      Delete