Sunday 26 April 2020

A Haul of WW2 Ships and Vehicles

During our recent move, my eldest son cleared out his loft and presented me with a couple of ageing boxes. "Look what I found" he exclaimed.

The first box contained a mix of old Heroics & Ros armour and vehicles. I even found an old AA Crusader tank with pins for barrels! That has to be one of their earliest sculpts from the '70's. I had forgotten about these and it must have been about 25 years ago when I gave them to him. At the time I had ditched 1/300 completely for 15mm. In my defence, the micro-scales have come along way since then. 

I am hopeful that some of these, the softskins in particular, will be usable bulking out my existing collection.

The second box contained 1/3000 scale WW2 Navwar and Davco ships for the British, German, Italian, Japanese and French navies. I have begun sorting these out and it would appear most will fit in nicely with my present collection. I have never stripped paint from models so an experiment is underway. I am soaking a German destroyer in slightly diluted Dettol bleach which I shall leave overnight. If all goes according to plan, a scrub with a stiff brush will hopefully remove any stubborn paint. 


14 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call some nice finds from the attic:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the ships in particular will be useful additions.

      Delete
  2. and as a bonus after soaking in Dettol they shouldn't get covid-19!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite a haul of forgotten treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly bringing back a few memories sorting through this lot.

      Delete
  4. Great find Jon! Caustic soda can be used as paint remover, with all due precautions of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, may well give that a try. Dettol did not work but nail varnish remover seems to be doing the job although requires a stiff brush to remove the softened paint.

      Delete
    2. I find Dettol works but I have to leave it a week or two for the best results.

      Delete
    3. I had more success with the nail varnish today. Submerged it in the stuff and as I brushed the paint dissolved. Some stubborn areas had to be worked on but overall appears ok. Not sure the wife appreciates it though!

      Delete
  5. I'll have to give nail varnish remover a go next time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wife tells me its cheap! Pleased you picked up on my mistake, meant to add 'remover'.

      Delete